Max Hostel, Bonn


I had to be in Bonn over a week ago for a meeting and opted to arrive early because there seemed to be no way to appreciate the former German capital just arriving lunchtime on day 1 and leaving right after lunch the next day. After several searches, it seemed it was either upscale proper hotels for moneyed professionals or absolute student standard housing.  

With my current situation, staying at a hostel was my best option. I think the reason why I am open to hostels is because I have generally had a good time at a number of hostels. Some of them even went beyond my expectations! That's where Max Hostel in Bonn comes in. 



In my so-called "mad" life, booking was a rush. I checked the site, checked the map, checked the price and it seemed it was the best option possible. In the map, it seemed close enough to the Hauptbahnhof (HbF). I could walk from the station and around the center easily. Decision, done! 

After my booking query, it turned out there were no single or double rooms available. I had to settle with a 4-bed room. Who cares? I booked one night. But on the way to Bonn, I realized my confirmation booking was wrong. It was for one night but arriving a day earlier!!! I sent an e-mail while on the ICE but did not get a reply. 

I was due to arrive Bonn 2 hours earlier than check-in time and had such a wonderful surprise. Without a guaranteed room, I thought any proper city would have a tourist information booth at the HbF. There was none. And the one in the Innenstadt was closed. It was a Sunday, I forgot. But finding my way through the old town was so enjoyable. I had my smartphone and couldn't help snapping photos and send it via what's app. Everything was so old world and pretty in Bonn! It looked like most of Europe. As I literally stood in front of the big center map outside the tourist office, my partner wrote: google maps? Yes! But once I'm on the road, I'm so old school. 

Finally, I remembered to look up the directions in enclosed the hostel's confirmation e-mail. My bad. But it was useless for me even if it was supposed to be helpful all because I was so distracted by the streets. People were out, flea markets everywhere, people eating ice cream, mothers with Kinderwagenen. I was so sad to leave the Innenstadt to cross the street towards an ugly building to reach Maxstrasse where the hostel was until I saw the entrance of a street line with cherry blossom trees! Oh love! 

But I still had to go to the hostel! I know, this introduction is getting longer but that's how it happened. I was enjoying the city streets that it became such a pleasant walk to reach the hostel. With every step that brought me closer to the hostel, I knew it was going to be great. I liked everything I saw along the way. 

When I got there, I still had an hour to kill. A man with the keys to the dance studio in the hostel (see, how cool is that?) offered to lock my bag inside the hostel's reception/cafe. It was a small airy space in green and white. I chose Max Hostel because it had a boutique hostel vibe anyway. And I was right! It was cozy  and clean yet very modern! 

The remaining hour I spent walking around Altstadt. Cherry blossom love. Spanish and Portuguese restaurants everywhere. Lots of cafes. I couldn't wait to visit them the morning after! 


As 4pm rolled in, I was the first to check in. Natasha or Svetlana (some Russian name, I'm sorry!!!) said they lost my booking but still had beds. The single room wasn't free but the double room was. So for about 55eur, I had my double room all to myself, 24 hours wifi, new linen, and access to the shared shower and kitchen. Mind you, the showers weren't bad except that the water stops after a few seconds. Climate change - excused! 


I was determined to see the rest of Bonn that evening and briefly that afternoon, hostel owner, Christine came by, whom I asked for suggestions. Apparently, the landlady shut off the heater because usually, April is a warm month in Germany but not this year. Christine even made sure I had lots of warm blankets and all. Hospitality! I talked to her at length the morning after when I had my Kaffee und Kuchen. Then she showed me which walks to take to see the most of Bonn. I really prefer walking and taking trams if needed. Thanks to her suggestions, I really had a very good impression of Bonn. She even volunteered to keep my bag until 2pm that day so I can wander around town before my meeting. 


Max Hostel is family-run and just proves that hostels need not be shabby and dirty. I woke up to a view of trees and a playground. I wish it was even everyday. Next to waking up to a view of the Elbe in Dresden a few years ago, I think this has been the next best thing. I open my eyes from the bed, I see bright spring sunshine, hear birds chirping, sometimes the chuckle of children, all veiled in cotton candy skies in the most relaxing yet energetic blue! 


If I'm staying in Bonn for more than a day, if I had to book, I'm definitely staying at Max's again! 

Maxstrasse 7, D-53111 Bonn
T: 0049  228 82345780
E-mail: info@maz-hostel.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...