Ma Maison in Manila

Ever since I saw construction begin at Greenbelt 2, I've been looking forward to the opening of Ma Maison. It claims to be a western Japanese restaurant.

The entree usually featured in their posters is the Tonkatsu, which is a breaded pork cutlet. It is traditionally served with brown sauce and a cabbage salad with sesame dressing.

I've always liked Tonkatsu. As a child who treated Sanrio as a saint, my parents often took me to Tokyo, Tokyo, where I had my favorite triple T: Tonkatsu, tempura and tofu.

As I got older, I ate healthier and forgot about Tonkatsu until I ate at Saboten in Bangkok recently. Saboten specializes in cutlets but serve more than just pork. They had several pork cuts and even had salmon and beef if I remember correctly. If there's salmon, I forget everything.

What set Saboten different from Ma Maison is that the former had unlimited cabbage salad, miso soup, rice and tea together with the cutlet. At Ma Maison, there was no soup, they only had one kind of pork cutlet with a literal siding of cabbage and potato salad. Yes, the drink is separate too. All of that for less than 500p.

What's good about Ma Maison is the size of the cutlet. It's huge. Think serving size of Italliani's or Krazy Garlik since they are all part of one company. Taste is fine. If you haven't tried Saboten, you'll like this one.

There are lots of other interesting dishes that do not seem French nor Japanese to me but are worth coming back for.

2 comments:

  1. I've tried this, too, and it's really good! :) And it doesn't hurt that the servings are huge.

    I've also tried Yabu, the one in Megamall, and they're pretty good, too! They specialize in katsu, and their tonkatsu is my personal favorite. You should try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaine! Thanks for your comment. I've tried Yabu several times since last year and it's pretty good. My favorite is their assorted seafood katsu tray.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...