Homemade Omelette Recipe



Yesterday was a non-working holiday in Geneva so I had time to leisurely cook breakfast and have it outdoors by the balcony. 



You see, I'm not really a fan of eggs. Well, not all kind of egg preparation at least. 

I like coddled eggs, perfect for wet French toasts. I love eggs Benedict too. And will always have a sunny-side up with my sinangag (fried garlic rice) and chosen main (love it with tapa or danggit). But I will always opt for scrambled eggs with milk and cheese together with my spam and bacon. 

I'm not really fond of hardboiled eggs and omelettes. My boyfriend likes omelettes, I learned last March. But last Easter, I finally learned how to enjoy hard boiled eggs and make this mean omelette. 

My mom and I were at an aunt's home in Luzern and she prepared this recipe for Easter Monday breakfast. As her story goes, a Spaniard taught her the technique when they were based in Shanghai. The perks of an integrated and adapted expat life! So there I was Monday morning, watching my Tita make a massive omelette for 3. My version is made with Lardon (this one is with pancetta) and you can always skip the tomatoes I suppose. I didn't provide exact measurement as I never really did precise cooking (ergo, I can't bake). 

You need to have: 
Olive oil, diced onions, a minced garlic clove, lardon, cubed plump tomatoes, beaten eggs, salt and pepper, ground Parmesan, and spring onions for garnish. 

You need to: 
1. Sauté the Lardon in olive oil in low heat until it slowly turns golden. Not much fat will come off it so you need more oil once you add the onions and garlic. Wait for the onions to caramelize. Always season as you add a new ingredient. 
2. Eventually add the tomatoes and sauté further. Remove from the pan. Season again. 
3. Scrape the pan bottom for bits, add a little oil, and pour in the beaten eggs and swirl around the pan until the entire bottom is covered. Patiently wait until eggs are cooked, tilting the pan when needed. 
4. Once the eggs are almost done, return the Lardon mixture to the middle of the egg, then flip both sides to finish the omelette. Transfer to a plate. 
5. Sprinkle ground Parmesan generously and chopped spring onions to taste. 

I hope you try this at home! Believe it or not, I've made it thrice since Easter.  Even goes well with a mesclun salad on the side! Dobrou chut!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...