Classic


Yesterday, I attended the 85th birth year celebration of Robert Coyuito at the Meralco Theater.

As I was watching and listening to the Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra play the Philippine National Anthem, I was practically having goosebumps. I have not heard our national anthem played live in a very long time and it was good to be reminded how pleasant it is to the ears. How much pride it could elicit in a Filipino that our national anthem is actually a good one.

All of a sudden, I was pulled back into music class under Mrs Cristi where she would send her students to watch performances at CCP. In hindsight, it is good to have a well-rounded liberal arts education. Yesterday's event made me realize that. Then of course, how could I forget the Czech Republic?

Perhaps my primary live encounter (beyond books and CDs) with classical music would be while living in the Czech Republic. I suddenly remembered the evening Emma and I were laughing our asses off at the Municipal Library Theater when the Loboc Choir performed -- only to find out minutes later I was going to be the one to bring the flowers on stage.

Cristina Coyiuto playing the piano, together with her daughter Caitlin playing the flute was literally music to the ears. Such soothing hopping sounds. Obviously, I do not know how to describe music (which makes me think what I learned during music class) but it reminded me of Bolero. I've always loved Bolero.

All this time, my mind was wandering. Thinking about how much I enjoyed watching the Brno Philharmonic Orchestra play when they performed at the AFP theater - perhaps in 2004. Then I thought about my visit at the Nelahozeves Castle and viewing all those original manuscripts of Beethoven and Mozart. Such a memorable sight to see! I admire those young Czech volunteers who actually remember all the contents of the museum. My mind also brought me back to the Estates Theatre, where I watched my first Mozart Opera, and Villa Bertramka, Mozart's home in Prague -- that's where he wrote Don Giovanni, which premiered in Prague.

My wanderings finally ended when we decided to go out and eat. After sampling some asparagus spreads, I knew the food was good. Coupled with Spanish white wine from La Rioja, I had to have more. So we abandoned Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 4 and headed out for cocktails and small bites. Luckily, the performance was heard at the entire lobby that we practically did not miss a thing!

This has been a lengthy post already but let me end with the highlight of my Saturday: meeting Margarita Araneta-Fores. She was never my local foodie idol but I have always looked up to her - her accomplishments, her parth, her cooking. Maybe when I feel like abandoning everything, I'll just do what she did: fly off to Italy, volunteer and absorb the local cuisine and customs and come back home to share it with my countrymen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...