Mozart, Prague and related spots

I realized I discussed too much about Mozart in Prague in a recent post that it deserves its own. Here’s a brief background of some of the items I mentioned.
Municipal Library Theater of Prague
Located at the Mariánské náměstí in the Old Town, the theater opened in 1942 as an addition to the library services and premises, which opened in 1891. Right in the middle of the old town and within walking distance to the Starometska metro station, it does not only house a theater but also the Bedřich Smetana Library established in 1921 as well as a Braille library in 1932 – 1942.

Loboc choir, an ensemble of singing children from Bohol, Philippines performed at the Municpal Library Theater of Prague in 2003. Emma and I were part of the few Filipinos able to see the performance of a choir who gives continuous pride to the Philippines. And on that evening, I was the one who handed the flowers to the former Philippine Ambassador to the Czech Republic, which was given to the choirmaster.
Estates Theater
Commissioned by František Antonín Count Nostitz Rieneck and opened in 1783, it still holds its original inscription, which reads Patriae et Musis - To the Native Land and the Muses. The Czech Estates purchased the theater in 1798 consequently changing its name from Count Nostitz’s Theatre to Royal Theatre of the Estates. The Estates Theatre has more predominantly been identified with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart because two of his operas premiered here: Don Giovanni in October 29, 1787 (with Mozart himself conducting the opera) and La Clemenza di Tito.

2006 marked Mozart’s 250th birth year and there were celebrations all over the world. Of course, the Estates Theater won’t be without an event aside from their usual Mozart Opera offerings. During winter that year, I was able to watch a collection of Mozart’s operas – a sampling of sorts. I suppose live performances really illicit a different feeling, which arouses interest than mere boredom. I suddenly appreciated my dad’s gesture of waking me up with classical music playing all over the house on Sunday mornings during my childhood.
Villa Bertramka
When I got to Villa Bertramka, I was not impressed. It was just a big house (but a Villa in Czech standards) with lots of Mozart memorabilia. Maybe it’s because prior to visiting the Villa, I’ve been to countless castles so I was expecting something special.

Bertramaka’s routes rest from Josefina Dušek who was a superb singer of her time, married to František Xaver Dušek who was also her music teacher since 1770. The couple met Mozart in a trip to Salzburg and has since offered their home to Mozart whenever he was in Prague. Dušek and Mozart performed a number of times in Vienna and Saxony.
Villa Bertramka also has an interesting location as it is at the periphery of Prague’s city center – neither at the old or new towns. It’s within walking distance to the Novy Smichov commercial complex – another example where the old blends with the new in Praha.
Nelahozeves Castle
My mother became friends with the Lobkowitcz family and from then on, have always suggested to clients (if they have the preference and resources) to visit or hold their events at any of their properties. In the winter of 2006, I had a pleasure of bringing a group for lunch at this historic castle, located 15 miles north of Prague at a town of the same name, where coincidentally, Czech composer, Antonín Dvořák was born.

For me, the Nelahozeves Castle is worth visiting if you have time to spare. Since I have always had a soft spot for anything Spanish (Spain was always my ideal rescue destination when the dreary and grim mood of living in Bohemia was too much to bare), I immediately warmed up to the Nelahozeves Castle. Why? Because it has the largest collection of Spanish portraits from the 16th and 17th centuries outside of Spain. Just imagine the feeling when you think you’ve seen the best at the Prado only to find out there’s more, in dear old Czech Republic!
During that visit I was able to view a temporary exhibition (1997-2007) of Six Centuries of European Art Patronage. Now the exhibition is lodged at Lobkowitcz Palace at the Prague Castle. How I wish pictures were allowed to be taken and it was not a working visit. Instead of returning to Prague by coach, we took a terribly slow cruise along the Vltava River (Moldau in German) disembarking right off the Intercontinental Hotel at the Old Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...