Women and Afghanistan


I blame my dad for influencing my fascination for spy, investigative, suspense shows shot all over the world or at least, have a cross-border twist. In the past few years, we've been hooked on NCIS. It's one of our bonding sessions.

On this steady Saturday morning, we saw an NCIS episode from Season 9. It was set in Afghanistan (AFG), to rescue a Marine held hostage by an impostor teacher who was actually a terrorist who believes that the proliferation of American ways, especially the freedom of learning and how it is empowering for women and children, should be limited.

It was quite an appropriate episode to watch this March, women's month. Even more appropriate to watch as I saw an opportunity this morning that could further a dream in the form of funding and mentorship.

I am no stranger to AFG although I will not say I am an expert on it. I have not even been there. But I have been schoolmates with one when I was in the Czech Republic, and more recently, I have been working with Afghans on cross-border transport and trade facilitation. The more people, goods, and services traverse territories safely, the more development is likely. The more opportunities for an improved way of life is possible.


The episode just struck a cord as I will not be where I am without having access to opportunities, whether sought or given per se. At one of the interrogation scenes, Gibbs says students are in school to be taught how to think and learn. The same thing is learned from having a liberal education. It's precisely the mix of skill and opportunity that is potent for girls, ladies, and women to achieve grandeur. And grandeur is different to each person.

When I did microfinance research in  Cagayan de Oro and its surrounding areas a few years ago, one family we visited had a crate of tomatoes thrown along the highway. It seemed such a waste to me. Ripe tomatoes just thrown away! I could have made a lot of things from a crate full of tomatoes! Fresh salsa, a salad, soup, dips. And they said they can do without it. It just cost them 30 php, less than 1USD. Yet to them, it was no waste to get rid of tomatoes which will not last another day. But a meal at a local Filipino-Chinese fastfood chain called Chowking was a worthwhile meal to celebrate milestones. Fastfood junkfood about the average cost of 2-3USD for a meal.

I never got it. Why value fastfood over fresh ripe tomatoes? Grandeur and value. It's certainly different for everyone. And this was from a woman who received microfinance loans to improve their lives.

My father often supported my growth. Of course, the Philippines and Afghanistan have different cultures and history. As a university lecturer on cross-cultural communication, I knew how powerful history, religion, and the environment can affect and mold one's mentality. And this is not limited to just women.

In a few months, I will move to my favorite continent, Europe, specifically to a country I have frequented lately, Germany, one that values freedom and opportunity, and in particular, to study at an institute that provides training to Afghan economists, to improve their capabilities to teach students more effectively.

In a few months, my father will have to let me go, our NCIS sessions will end, all because I am availing of one grand opportunity, so I may have more to share later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...