Foreign Language # 4

In college, I took up basic Spanish and followed up with a module with Instituto Cervantes when I came back to Manila after a year spent abroad. I stopped because our teacher spoke with Guatemalan Spanish instead of Castillian. And while lost in San Sebastian a few years later, I still managed to find my way around to the best restaurants without a word in English.

After University, I moved to the Czech Republic to primarily learn Czech. About 35 hours a week of intensive Czech. Cviceni a tak dale. Years later and without practice, it's still useful when I haggle when shopping in Prague, especially when a local tries to rip me off.

About three years ago, I also completed two modules of French at Alliance Francaise de Manille. I decided to take up French not because I was fond of it but because it is the language of diplomacy (international relations), development (majority of the poor countries in Africa and Greater Mekong Subregion are French speaking), and of course, the kitchen. Gastronomy is just simply French. Although I love to cook and eat, I don't remember a single french word, except oui but that does not count.


So the fourth language is German. Although the language seems easier than the above three combined, the learning method seems to be challenging me. My ancient brain seems to be rattled with the combination of books, CDs, interactive online modules with forums, chats, videos, matching exercises etc. It's only day 2 and my brain is fried. 23 more months to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...