Eggs Benedict at Yalumba, Le Meridien in Dubai

The origins of Eggs Benedict is still disputed (Lemuel Benedict, a retired stock broker from New York or from a banker and yachtsman, Commodore E.C. Benedict) based on who requested the combination of poached eggs, English muffins, bacon or ham and Hollandaise sauce, which is now a brunch classic. I can't remember how I ended up liking Eggs Benedict but for some reason, I try to order it when I can when I eat out. To date, I still can't do poached eggs to my liking.

After visiting a hospital last week when the rest of the country was on national holiday, I dragged my mother to nearby Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf for brunch. She ordered a tomato-based ravioli while I opted for the Eggs Benedict. Suffice to say, the actual version did not live up to the pretty picture in the menu.


Apart from the usual muffin, ham and egg, CBTL's version came with extra bread, dried fruits, butter and jam. Although it may look appetizing, the dish came lukewarm, like it had been sitting at the counter for an hour. It was rubbery and the flavors did not blend either. I certainly ate it for nourishment and not for enjoyment. I was very disappointed.

While staying at the InterContinental Hotel in Bangkok last year, I requested their waitstaff for some Eggs Benedict as well. Service is impeccable at this hotel, which complements its 5-star facilities and perfect location. But once again, I was disappointed with the Eggs Benedict.



The roasted tomato, hash brown, sausage and sauteed mushrooms were something I just picked up at the buffet spread. Don't get me wrong, there's so much to choose from their breakfast buffet you won't leave hungry or that nagging feeling of hoping there's just one dish that could satisfy your appetite. There were the usual Asian and Western stations, and you can have congee, dimsum as well as a variety of omelettes and bread.

Look at that picture? Doesn't it look like a fondant cake to you? I did not even finish this generous serving of two eggs. The bread was dry and the sauce was bland. I can't even remember the ham. Sadness.

But I think the reason for my disappointments above is having a high standard. I was in transit in Dubai last year and stayed at the Le Meridien Hotel and Eggs Benedict to me was never the same again. I don't think it was not even on the menu but my colleagues and I ordered it, and I'm so happy we did!


This is not a picture perfect dish but surely tasted that way! Could you notice how runny the sauce and eggs were? I like almost raw eggs, when it is still thick but not solid-cooked like the eggs in the other two above. And despite the size of the egg, it didn't crowd out the flavor of the seared bacon and toasted bread. Maybe it was the bacon that made the difference. But the bread was better there too. This one doesn't include the traditional muffin but seems like Ciabatta to me. This is a no frills Eggs Benedict as the picture shows but it full on flavor.

Links:
Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf: http://www.coffeebean.com.ph/gourmet
Yalumba at Le Meridien, Dubai: http://diningatmeridiendubai.com/hotel-lobby/yalumba/overview.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...