EU Network Meeting

The ballroom was quite empty given the ratio of attendees and the ballroom size. Present, were mostly EU expats, a number of diplomats, chamber members, and of course, local businessmen. Such events are good in fostering economic cooperation in the private sector through clubs and organizations.

Overall, it was a good event. Lots of prizes were given, and food was great. What left me outraged though, was a comment someone made from the Spanish group that San Sebastian is a "probinsya" and where the "probinsyana" who prefer mountains, beaches, good food and a laid back lifestyle live.

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with that. I suppose, if one has lived the fast-paced urban life, one would seek "probinsyana" lifestyle, once in awhile. At least for me, I can talk about experiencing both small and big city life, both in Europe and the Philippines.

Perhaps, I am more outraged because San Sebastian, in the Basque region, is my favorite place in Spain. It looks like Switzerland, where you replace the lakes with the sea, the mountains looming over, Michelin-rate restaurants, a royal summer getaway (much like Karlovy Vary), and everything a proper city offers except an airport (you have to go to Bilbao, an hour away, to fly out).

To each his own I guess. To be fair, after three days in San Sebastian, I had too much. I wanted to go back to the city, and 13 hours later by train, I was back in Madrid. It remains though, to be my favorite Spanish city. Perhaps, because it is not a touristy place, and one could really mingle with the locals.

I would write about San Sebastian and post pictures, but that can wait. For now, here are some pictures from tonight's cocktails:

Beef Yakiniku, chicken in a pastry dough, parma-ham wrapped asparagus with melon

Satay skewers, risotto balls with pesto sauces, and some empanada

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...