Korean Beef Stew


The Korean beef stew popular in the Philippines is sweet with the beef so tender it's best with piping hot steamed rice. Although beef is top-quality here in Switzerland and needs barely anything else, sometimes, I can't help but crave food I grew up with. The version I share here though is not sweet but has a strong ginger flavor. 



I start off by sweating the beef on medium heat until all the liquid from the beef has gone out and it's natural juices ooze out. In Manila, the beef would have released lots of oil by this time. Since meat here is lean, once the "water" is gone, I add julienned ginger and a clove or two of minced garlic and sautéed. My estimates are based on half a kilo of beef. 

Right before the ginger and garlic turn golden, add 3/4 water and 1/4 soy sauce, just enough to cover the beef to boil, and then simmer on low fire. Others would also add sliced leeks at this point. Of course, season with salt and pepper. Others would add beef bouillon or beef broth at the point but since ingredients here are fully flavored, I didn't have to add those. It may take an hour or so for the beef to be tender to your liking. 

In a separate pan, toast some sesame seeds and set aside. Once the beef is tender and the sauce has somehow reduced and coagulated, drizzle some sesame oil. Season to taste. Plate and garnish with chopped spring onions and toasted sesame seeds. 

I hope you have a bowl of steamed rice waiting too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...