La Relais de Chambesy in Geneva


A compatriot invited me for lunch today and despite my strict penchant for observing the usual one hour lunch, R suggested we dine at a bistro 3-5 minutes away from Palais des Nations, which took longer than average (but still within the typical P-staff lunch duration).

Boarding the V bus right in front of ICRC, we got off right in front of La Relais de Chambesy. Reservations were made (as is customary in Geneva for peak hours) indoors thanks to the silver morning sky but as the sun came out, a table was offered at the veranda.

Talking about Philippine politics and wondering why the poor are not reaping the benefits of the supposedly growing Asian tiger, R suggests that Filipinos who have lived abroad, who are exposed and appreciate the efficient and effective ways of the developing world should lead and be the ones in office. R said people like me, educated abroad, young and still capable to do something.

I retorted, "what about your type?" That means you should come home now instead of waiting for retirement. Come home when you're able-bodied and can still act on your ideas.




Eventually, the Soupe tiede de moules a l'orange (simply mussels soup with orange essence) arrived. We still kept on talking until it seemed to me the soup was already cold. It was light and citrusy. Almost bland but not quite. I wish they offerred pepper. But we kept on exchanging ideas anyway so it did not matter much anymore.

At some point, I felt I was defending the country too much, the government at some point, and development initiatives to a large extent - conceptually and operationally. About 12 years ago, I was apathetic about the Philippines. Now, here I am optimistic about the country of my birth talking to a German in Manila very early in the morning (that's another story) and convincing a fellow Filipino over lunch that it's not as bad as before but a lot still needs improvement.

Then our mains arrived. R had lamb and I opted for fish -  ignorant that mine had rice. Not the grains I liked but the roasted Zander filet had such a clean taste to it - nothing fishy nor strong flavors. I didn't taste hints of pink berry on the sauce though. In my mind, I recall the meal my mom and I had at Boquet Garni in Luxembourg (which deserves another post too) and realize, perhaps the Michelin star does make a difference.

I guess it was because the conversation was just more interesting than the food. R then asks about my plans and I say for me, Geneva is great for people with families but not for young and single professionals. R tries to convince me to believe otherwise but eventually lets me keep my position. But my more important point was that now is the time to come home and help. Opportunities are opening up and if we find our niche, we get lucky and make a difference. I also said it's so easy for one's voice to get lost in the bureaucracy. This time, I'm finally ready to share and succumb to the challenge of being on the spotlight.
Then the waiter returns to ask for our dessert preferences.

We both opt to skip the dessert from the plate of the day menu and order "Meringue glacée aux fruits rouges, Crème double e gruyère." Sounds fancy? Because it is. Tastes good? Absolutely! Perhaps I'm biased because I love meringue with Gruyere double cream, then add a sorbet of fresh summer berries, that's heaven!

So we end our lunch by saying that our actions are always (or must be) heaven-inspired. That if it is God's way, it will be easy but by no means effortless because He will make it known that what you get is based on His plans. R said we didn't meet to chat or gossip (although he did share stories on the plight of a few Filipinos and how he has been helping others) but that for some reason, he felt, if I were to do something big when I come home, he will support me. That's a lot from a person who singled me out at a bus stop (Excuse me, Pilipino ka?) and treated me generously for lunch.

Let's see how the future holds. I hope it was like this lunch, it only gets better and comes as a surprise.

La Relais de Chambesy
Site: http://www.relaisdechambesy.ch/site/fr/accueil

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...