Fika Love

White chocolate muffin and cafe latte at the Muffin Bakery
Personal files 

We had a long touristy day - a river cruise around the Stockholm archipelago, wandering the cobbled stone streets of Gamla Stan, and soaking up monarchical history at the Royal Palace - all on a rainy day. We had a few hours to kill before our evening plans so I took a solitary walk around Drottninggatan where our hostel was located. Walking plus fatigue called for a break.

A few days before the trip, I read about fika as social construct in Swedish culture. Both a verb and a noun, it refers to a break with friends, colleagues or anyone without any romantic connotation. Fika is having coffee with something sweet, bread or anything dunkable to a cup of coffee. 

So fika was in order. I have always been in search of that quaint cafe in Stockholm but there were just too many to choose from! Too many tiny, narrow cafes and restaurants with warm lights, big windows, small tables, full of happy people seemingly enjoying hanging out together over a meal and drinks. But I was alone. My friends were resting. So I walked, and walked until I stumbled upon the Muffin Bakery.

I know, it's in English and it struck me more like a New York-style cafe than a Swedish one. But it was so inviting my solitude was so comfortable inside. Upon entry, I was immediately welcomed by the barista  who spoke perfect English. He guided me through the chiller, showcasing what was still available. I said I wanted something sweet, something between a cake and a cookie - he suggested I have a molten white chocolate muffin with my coffee. 

And there as he heated and served the muffin and prepared my coffee, he chatted me up and introduced me to another Swede (both of them non-blondes). We swapped stories about Sweden, Germany, and the Philippines. I expressed how my Euro was practically worthless against the Swedish Crown -- everything is so expensive. They thought otherwise. But everyone agreed the Philippines seemed like paradise. After a few more minutes and telling me the coolest clubs and neighborhoods in Stockholm, we parted ways. I went to my bar stool, the lady left, and the barista back to his job. 

Ever since, I've been smitten by the concept of fika, adopting it whenever possible -- like those who vacation in America coming back with a bit of an American accent. You go somewhere and you take something back with you. For me, it's fika. We've had a long coffee culture in the Philippines and I have taken it with me everywhere. I'm just so glad now I know, it's not just coffee/tea and cake. It's fika! 

Muffin Bakery
Drottningatan 73
Stockholm
http://www.muffinbakery.se/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...