Newspapers and Me!

on board CX from Hong Kong to Beijing
Personal collection

Above is a picture of FT Weekend and the International Herald Tribune (the global edition of the New York Times). I assume these are publications taken for granted by business professionals and perhaps any one who could afford such subscriptions. High level employees often have this delivered to their desks daily. 

When I was studying in the Czech Republic, I was so deprived of English. I lived in a dorm that had no cable TV (which we take for granted in Manila) and internet. That was a time when laptops were quite new and having wifi on one's laptop was quite a big deal. To go online, I had to go to an internet cafe or go to a hotel's business center. 

So whenever I traveled through airports or visited friends and family billeted at any of Prague's hotels, I would hoard newspapers to have access to the rest of the world and not forget my English. It kept me abreast of world events and made me feel I was still plugged in. We Filipinos may be a developing country but we're very much in tune with what is going on elsewhere in so many ways. In Podebrady, it was just a parallel world of Czech language, international students, and elderly who all spoke Czech better than English most of the time. 

Years on, I still have the same habit. Although I could possibly afford these papers, I still found it expensive to buy them. With the wealth of information available online, it didn't make sense to spend on it either. But when I have the chance, I get newspapers. 

 
Newspapers + Fika at the Dusseldorf Airport
Personal collection

I just wish I have time to read them. On a recent trip to Prague, I hoarded newspapers at the Dusseldorf airport again. But thanks to school work and the actual holiday, I haven't read them. Literally, old news


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...