Fork Tapas in Cape Town


The evening S and I had dinner at Little Ethiopia, Fork Tapas was full. It was another small restaurant with few tables at the ground floor and a full bar at the end. When I read tapas, I think Spain. And I love Spanish food so I made a mental note: must come back and try Fork!





So when I found myself wandering Long Street with A one afternoon, it was one of the places I suggested we'd try for a late lunch. The Tapas menu at about 60 rands included a sampler, choice of wine or soda, and coffee. Seemed like a good enough deal to me. After wandering around Long Street and despite the many other options, we found ourselves back at Fork. A wanted to try Spanish food for the first time. 

We sat down, order the tapas sampler and request drinks. A opted for a soda and I wanted wine. Thinking it was a Spanish restaurant, I asked for a white wine from La Rioja. Then the server said they only have wine from South Africa. Understandable. Then he expounds that Fork is not a Spanish restaurant but they serve fusion, cosmopolitan cuisine typical of Cape Town tapas-style. By then, we were too hungry to reject our orders and move. 

I browsed the menu to see anything remotely Spanish and they had Chorizos and Jamon Serrano so I ordered that too. I wish there was Manchego but despite their wide array of cheeses, there was none. I felt a little bad that we chose Fork so A could try Spanish food for the first time. To top it all off, the waiter was a bit disoriented. He gave us a knife but no fork. And after asking for it, we had to wait awhile even after he was done doing something else. It was after the lunch hour. Sometimes, one is less efficient when less busy. 


But it wasn't all that bad. We had a very good time. We sat there at leisure, swapped stories typical of ladies and enjoyed the food. It was quite surprising that despite the literally small servings, we were not even able to finish everything, including the complementary round of bread we asked for. By the time the coffee came, we were so full! And since it was another hot day in Cape Town, I requested if they can give us iced coffee instead. The immediately said they've never done it for a customer before but they'd do it anyway. Now that's client service to me. 

If I'm back in Cape Town and craving for fusion in small plates, I'm definitely coming to Fork again. Or maybe I will try Knife at Century City. 

Tapas at Fork. 84 LONG ST CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA. http://www.fork-restaurants.co.za/ 

All pictures are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...